If You Don’t Want to Go Back to Work After Maternity Leave, Learn How to Make Money From Home
Congratulations! You’ve successfully procreated and are the proud mother of an adorable offspring… there’s just one problem. You’re biologically, emotionally, and everything-ally attached to the little sucker now, and you don’t want to go back to work. Great! Except, it’s almost 2019 and living on a single income in most places is about as realistic as flying to the moon on your pet unicorn.
There is a solution though, one that’s both realistic and achievable: Make Money From Home. Since the thought of doing anything but keeping your new baby alive can be totally overwhelming, I thought I’d give you a little nudge and explain exactly how to make money from home after having a baby.
What Doesn’t Work
Before I tell you how to make money from home after having a baby, I want to briefly touch on a few things that I feel are not good options when you are starting from scratch.
- Affiliate Marketing – Affiliate marketing is a marketing arrangement by which an online retailer pays a commission to an external website for traffic or sales generated from its referrals. This can generate a great income….IF you have a good sized, highly engaged online following that trusts your recommendations… so if you’re a few months into motherhood with no professional presence, this is an idea to tuck away for later, when you’re an online superstar!
- Gifting Programs – Okay, I really hope I’m being redundant by listing this, but if something sounds too good to be true…. It probably is. We all know someone who has cashed in on a gifting pyramid, and some people have even been successful at it- but the risk is high, and many jurisdictions consider this illegal. On top of that, you’re here to build a sustainable online income, right? Gifting schemes, sustainable they are not.
- MLM, Direct Sales, Network Marketing, Social Selling – Alright, sharpen your pitchforks ladies… I know you won’t like this one. Some of you reading this are probably part of an MLM. Some of you are probably even decent at it. I’m not talking to the minority of you that are absolutely killing it selling these products. I’m talking to the everywoman who’s starting from nothing and needs a steady income ASAP. Here’s the problem: The vast majority of distributors for multi-level marketing companies make very little money every month, and many spend countless hours of their own time and money trying to make the idea they were sold when they were recruited a reality. In addition to this, regardless of what lingo people use to describe it… you do not own this business. It is not yours. If the company disappears, your “business” is gone. If the products lose market favour, you can’t make different ones and sell them- you have no control. I don’t want that for you- I want you to build something on your own that will change your life, and for that reason I can not in good faith recommend direct sales to most of you.
What Does Work
Okay, enough of the tough love. Let’s move right into things that do work when you want to make money online after having a baby.
1) Starting a Service-Based Business From Home
I’m starting with this option because starting a service-based business online requires the lowest start-up investment and has the fastest rate of return- now, that doesn’t mean it has the highest rate of return, because that will depend on you ultimately. However, service based businesses have the fastest rate of return when you’re just starting out because you can literally collect revenue for services you have yet to render. So if you’re strapped for cash, finding a service-based hustle for yourself is probably your best bet.
So let’s take a quick look at what that could mean for you:
Selling services is basically selling skills. If you are good at something that other people need done for them, you can package it up and sell it as a service offering. How many people do you know that have turned their hobby photography into a photography business? Probably a boatload!
Here are some ideas to get you started- but this isn’t an exhaustive list, you can make just about anything into a service offering as long as it solves a problem for someone else! You’ll also see that some of these are 100% digital, while others are in-person services that you can market online.
- Home organizing
- Meal prep services
- Social media management
- Cleaning services
- Graphic Design
- Website Design
- Academic Tutoring
- Extracurricular Teaching (music, sports, art, etc)
- Contractor Management
- Referral/Recruitment Services
- Travel Agent Service
2) Starting a Product-Based Business From Home
Starting a product-based business, generally speaking, comes with a higher upfront cost than starting a service. Even a dropshipping business requires a small investment in e-commerce technology to get you going, so if you’re flat broke (I know some of you are, and you’re not alone) then I recommend starting with a service biz and expanding from there.
Here are some ideas to get your wheels turning about a product-based business:
- Handmade Goods
- Digital Products
- Online Boutique (retailing other people’s products)
- Dropshipping products from manufacturers
- Online Courses/Programs
So, what do you think? Does one of these options jump out at you?
What kind of business do you envision yourself building?
If you’ve got any questions or additional ideas, jump into the comments and let me know! I’d love to hear from you.